Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My Model School always mesmerized me.

I did my schooling from sixth standard to the tenth standard in Government Model High School in Trivandrum. It was the only one Model School in Kerala and the name is worthy enough that the school always topped in the SSLC examinations with many ranks and distinctions.  My thoughts take me now to an old English bungalow in the school campus where I did my sixth standard.  There was a well furnished English styled bath room with tubs and taps (a rare site for us in the sixties) by the side of the class 6 F. This building was painted yellow during the sixties and the window panes were just different. Some of the panes were French windows and some English style where in one can adjust the flow of winds and lights by driving down a wooden lever. I was positioned in the last bench (fifth row from the front) for I was not so bright at that time. Smarties were given the front rows and average guys sent to the back. In Model School, I had the feel that children of parents employed in descent levels were given some special previlege. I was the son of a farmer and that too from a village, around 15 kms away from the city. I can boldy write here how I felt the discrimination during the school days. I used to get good beating from my class teacher whenever I came late to the school. It was not deliberate as the late arrival was due to the erring public transport service of KSRTC those days.
The distance of 15 kms from my home in Oorutambalam is not a far distance these days when we cover it in 15 minutes. Those days, the bus used to take 45 minutes to one hour to the city. However whenever I came late, the class teacher will ask me every time about the location of my house. He will show a gesture on his face that clearly reveals why this boy from the wild is here.
With all those discriminated experience in my sixth standard, as I moved to the adjacent long white two storeyed building for my seventh class, things started changing in my way. Mr Moses my class teacher then, who is still active in teaching in Christ Nagar school in Trivandrum, was a wonderful teacher who identified my talents in public speaking. I place my tribute here for that great human being whom I remember still in my prayers.
His English classes were superb and I still recollect his way of teaching. I could deliver speeches in my class as he prompted students to speak every week. My first speech was on " People of the East and West", which was prepared by my father. He before taking to farming was a Havildar with the Royal Indian Army Records in Nagpur. He had travelled to the Persian Gulf ( Now gulf countries) during War periods.Though he did not complete his matriculation, I am proud to state here that he had good English with good vocabulary and top class Grammar. His observation powers and good perception brought light to me and started kindling my thoughts. I would have taken to a bigger career if he would have been alive. I lost him when I was in my first year degree classes. Mr Parameswaran Nair, my dad only got me admitted to the Model High School in Trivandrum which was the rank maker and trend setters till the 80s. My Amma,  Sulochana Thankachi, who was my mentor and everything after my Dad’s Death was a teacher then (retired as Headmistress later) and her connections got me admission very easily to this BIG school. Model School of Trivandrum, a sought after educational  institution where Stalwarts taught and young bright scholars studied. Salute to this great altar of education. What now seems to be funny is my engagements during intervals. During 60s and 70s, it was Manian at the Sasthamkovil side gate (no gate now)  and Swami at the Eastern gate who were running shops , frequented by almost all students for toffees, coconut cookies, chickies, bubble gums, sodas, lemonades etc. A cople of cyclewallaha will also be at the gate selling ice sticks of all flavours. Come noon intervals, most of the students will be at the gate flocking round the shops and cyclewallahs for the preferred purchases. Manian was friendly, while Swamy was a strict person more reserved. The icecreamwallahs were arrogant. I used to be everywhere with friends tasting things without the knowledge of my parents. I JUST UNROLLED BY MEMORIES.

MY MEMORIES FLOWED DOWN AUTOMATICALLY BY SEEING THE PICTURE OF WHITE BUILDING.

No comments:

Post a Comment